New Zealand is a land of spectacular scenic beauty and home to the Maori culture. Here are some fun facts that you may not know about the islands at the end of the earth.
1. The Maori name for New Zealand is ‘Aotearoa’ which means the land of the long white cloud.
2. New Zealand was the first country in the world to give women the vote back in 1893
3. Unlike Australia there are no snakes in New Zealand.
4. Wellington is the most southerly capital city in the world
5. The world’s first bungee jump took place in Queenstown in 1988
6. Auckland has more boats per capita than any other city
7. New Zealand won the first ever Rugby world cup in 1987
8. New Zealand is the first country to greet the dawn
9. New Zealand dominate 50% of the worlds sheep market
10. To become a citizen you have to swear an oath of loyalty to Queen Elizabeth the second.
11. Lake Taupo the largest lake in the country was formed after the eruption of an ancient super volcano.
12. To prevent BSE entering the country British immigrants are not allowed to donate blood.
13. Tourism supports more than 10% of all jobs in the country
14. New Zealand has two national anthems; God Save the Queen and God defend New Zealand.
15. There are 2.5 million cars for the 4 million people in the country making New Zealand’s car
ownership one of the highest in the world.
16. New Zealand is home to the world’s only flightless parrot the Kakapo
17. For its size it is one of the world’s least populated countries
18. Dairy farmers produce a huge 100 kg of butter and 65 kg of cheese each year, for each person who lives in New Zealand!
19. 22% of its residents were born overseas.
20. James Cook drew the first map of the country and officially placed it on the globe.