France is a country with a long history and a strong culture. Here is a list of 20 facts that you may not know:
1. It’s illegal to call a pig Napoleon.
2. France produces over 400 different types of cheese.
3. The word ‘salut’ confusingly means both hello and goodbye.
4. In 1386 a pig was hung for murder.
5. Between 6 and 11 million Americans speak French.
6. The Eiffel Tower was originally intended to be sold for scrap after its construction.
7. The French healthcare system was ranked number 1 in the world by the world health organisation.
8. French fries and French toast are not French inventions.
9. 2 new cookbooks are published in France everyday.
10. The most visited attraction in Paris is Disneyland not the Eiffel Tower.
11. The oldest bridge in Paris is called Pont Neuf (new bridge).
12. The guillotine was last used in 1977.
13. The French aren’t the only people to eat snails but they are when it comes to frogs legs.
14. It is illegal to kiss on Railways.
15. Mont Blanc is the highest peak in Europe.
16. French is the official language of the United Nations.
17. 20% of Frances territory resides outside of France.
18. France has the most ski resorts on Earth.
19. 34% of French people can speak English.
20. The croissant one of France’s most famous foods was in fact invented in Austria.