Portuguese VISAs

Depending on your nationality, you may require a residence permit/work permit/visa to live in Portugal, make sure you understand your situation and organise the relevant paperwork before you go!


As an EU citizen you might not require a visa to live in Portugal, but you will need a residence card (autorização de residência) to be allowed to live permanently in the country. Applications need to be made at the nearest foreigners department or at an office of the Portuguese Ministry of internal affairs; these can be found in most major cities.  When in Portugal you should always carry your foreign or Portuguese identity card or passport. You can be asked to produce your identification papers at any time by the Portuguese police or other officials, and if you don’t have them with you, you can be fined (although this is unlikely).

If you visit Portugal to look for work, you will have 180 days in which to find employment or establish a business and apply for a residence card.EU nationals who come to Portugal to work for a period of less than three months and seasonal workers whose work duration doesn’t exceed eight months, don’t require a residence card. Employees whose time working in the country will last longer than three months, but less than twelve have to acquire a temporary residence card.

EU nationals who visit Portugal with the intention of finding employment or starting a business have up to six months to find a job and apply for a residence card. However, if you don’t have a regular income or adequate financial resources your application will be refused. Failure to apply for a residence card within the specified time is a serious offence and can result in a heavy fine and even deportation.
Documentation required for applying for a residence card:

Passport or identity card.

Two current passport-type photographs.

Notarized letter from employer stating expected duration of employment (if intending to work).

Proof of health insurance.

Criminal background check.