GUIDE ON EMIGRATING TO THAILAND

thailand_view_night

Thai Cities

If Thailand is the country of your expat dreams but you’re not sure where to settle then read all about the country’s top three cities!

Bangkok

The capital of Thailand is also the most populous with over 14 million people living in the city’s wider metropolitan area.

Bangkok’s reputation for excess precedes it. Sleazy, energetic, and the gateway to what many see as the world’s greatest backpackers’ paradise, it’s a city that on the surface seems like it’s all play: toxic buckets of alcohol on the streets, fried insects to test your stomach further, and a dubious assortment of clubs where anything goes. Bangkok is a vibrant and exciting place to live.

Facts:

Bangkok holds the world record for having the longest name of a city. Bangkok is just the short version of its ceremonial name of Krung Thep Mahanakhon Amon Rattanakosin Mahinthara Yuthaya Mahadilok Phop Noppharat Ratchathani Burirom Udomratchaniwet Mahasathan Amon Piman Awatan Sathit Sakkathattiya Witsanukam Prasit

In 2008 Bangkok was ranked the best city in the world according to Travel and Leisure magazine

Bangkok is also called the ‘Venice of the East’ due to its large number on canals.

Phuket

Phuket is renowned for being a provincial tropical paradise. From the beautiful lagoon where Leonardo Di Caprio starred in ‘The Beach’, to the striking sunsets, palm strewn beaches and extraordinarily clear waters, Phuket is an anti-thesis to Bangkok’s insanity: calm, and  eye-catching. Phuket is famous for its night life, fine dining and is a favourite destination with international travellers.

Facts:

Phuket is made up of 33 islands

The region has a population of around 322,000

The area receives around three million visitors every year

Chiang Mai

The city of Chiang Mai is the largest and most culturally important city in the north of Thailand. Located amongst the country’s highest mountains the city receives five million visitors each with 1 to 2 million of those being foreign nationals. In recent years the city has become increasingly modern acting as a transportation hub for the north and Asia.

Facts:

80% of the people in Chiang Mai are locals by birth, and speak a dialect that is a slight variation of the central Thai language. The remaining 20% are Thai nationals and foreigners who have moved to Chiang Mai to work, study, or retire.

Chiang Mai means “new city” and was founded by King Mengrai in 1296. It became the capital of the Lannathai kingdom, following Chiang Rai.