Greek VISAs

Depending on your nationality, you may require a residence permit/work permit/visa to live in Greece, make sure you understand your situation and organise the relevant paperwork before you go!


As an EU citizen you might not require a visa to live in Greece, but you will need a national identity card or full passport as well as a residency permits to be allowed to live permanently in the country. Applications need to be made to the local police or at an alien’s bureau in one of the major cities. These offices are not common in small towns so you may have to visit a regional capital to apply.

When in Greece you must always carry your passport or residence permit (if you have one), which serves as an identity card, which all local nationals must carry by law. You can be asked to produce your identification papers at any time by the police and other officials, and if you don’t have them you can be taken to a police station and interrogated.

If you visit Greece to look for work, you will have 90 days in which to find employment or establish a business and apply for a residence card.EU nationals who come to Greece to work for a period of less than three months and seasonal workers whose work duration doesn’t exceed eight months, don’t require a residence card. Employees whose time working in the country will last longer than three months, but less than twelve have to acquire a temporary residence card. Residence permits are valid for five years.

EU nationals who visit Greece need to present their passport, four photographs, proof of accommodation, proof of sufficient income and proof of health insurance cover.

Permit infringements are taken very seriously by the authorities and there are penalties for breaches of regulations, including fines and even deportation for flagrant abuses.

EU nationals in certain jobs (e.g. food preparation or childcare) and all non-EEA nationals applying for a residence permit must obtain a health certificate from a state hospital. The certificate is issued after you have passed several medical examinations including a chest x-ray (TB), blood tests (hepatitis B and C, and HIV), a psychiatric evaluation and drug tracing. Note that you must pay for all examinations.