Canada is the second largest country on Earth and is home to all sorts of weird and whacky things. Here are some fun facts about Canada.
1. Canada is home to the longest street in the world, Street in Ontario starts at Lake Ontario, and runs north through Ontario to the Minnesota border, a distance of almost 1242 miles.
2. Canada basically got its name by mistake. When French explorer Jaques Cartier, came to the new world, he met with local Natives who invited them to their ‘Kanata’ or ‘village’. The party mistakenly thought the name of the country was “Kanata” or Canada.
3. Canada’s only desert in British Columbia is only 15 miles long and is the only desert in the world with a long boardwalk for visitors to walk on.
4. Canada is home to 55,000 different species of insects.
5. Canada has been invaded twice by the United States, in 1775, and 1812.
6. The Hotel de Glace in Quebec is built every year using 400 tons of ice and 12 000 tons of snow. Every summer it melts away and is rebuilt every winter.
7. The famous children’s stories of Winnie-the- pooh were inspired by a Canadian bear cub called Winnipeg that was sent to London Zoo.
8. Canada didn’t have a national flag until 1965.
9. Canada officially became a country in 1867 after an act was passed by the British parliament.
10. Canada contains 9% of the world’s fresh water supply.
11. North America’s lowest recorded temperature was -63 C at Snag in the Yukon Territory, on February 3, 1947.
12. Kerosene was invented in Canada.
13. Ice hockey is the national game of Canada.
14. It has the fourth lowest population density in the world.
15. The baseball glove was invented by a Canadian in 1883.
16. In the 15 – 64 age groups, for every 100 men, Canada has 102 women.
17. Canada is 41 times the size of the UK.
18. The trans-Canada highway is the longest national road in the world at 4,860 miles.
19. Canada holds the record for winning the most gold medals in a winter Olympic Games.
20. The BlackBerry Smartphone was invented in Canada.