Best Paying Jobs in the USA
The US is the land of opportunity, the world’s largest economy and the home of iconic sites like the New York skyline, the Grand Canyon and the Golden Gate Bridge.
The American dream – the concept that all people can know happiness and success if they’re willing to work for it – is an ideal which has drawn many people to the US over the centuries, and it remains one of the most popular places to emigrate to.
But emigrating can be expensive, so having a job which pays well can make a huge difference.
In the current economic climate securing a well paid position is tricky, but not impossible. No matter how the national or global economy is faring there are always going to be certain jobs which pay more than others.
Of course, which jobs pay well is subject to demand, location, experience and sector. Remember, careers with a high pay grade in the UK may not be as well compensated in other countries, while mid-income jobs in the UK could be highly paid elsewhere!
If you’re emigrating to the USA (or even if you’re only considering a move) it might interest you to know that the top twenty-five best paying jobs in America are very different to the top twenty-five best paying jobs in the UK.
To see whether you could be earning more than you thought here’s a list of the twenty-five best paid jobs in the US, with rough average yearly salaries.
All data sourced from myplan.com, March 2013. Conversion to GBP based on exchange rate of £1/0.66 USD
GBP figures rounded up to nearest pound.
These salaries are national averages only, salaries will vary significantly regionally.
25. Sales Manager (Sales) $111,570 / £73,590
24. Financial Manager (Finance) $113,730/ £75,015
23. Treasurers & Controllers (Finance) $113,730 / £59,099
22. Airline Pilot, Co-Pilot & Flight Engineer (Airlines/Aviation/Aerospace/Defence) $117,060/ £77,211
21. Petroleum Engineer (Engineering) $119,960/ £79,124
20. Marketing Manager (Marketing) $120,070/ £79,197
19. Computer and Information Systems Manager (IT) $120,640/£79,573
18. Engineering Manager (Engineering) $122,810/£81,004
17. Prosthodontist (Health and Medical) $125,400/£82,712
16. Natural Sciences Manager (Sciences) $127,000/ £83,768
15. Lawyer (Law) $129,020/ £85,099
14. Podiatrists (Health and Medical) $131,730/ £86,887
13. Dentists, Other Specialities (Health and Medical) $153,570/ £101,293
12. Dentists, General (Health and Medical) $156,850/ £103,456
11. Paediatricians (Health and Medical) $161,410/ £106,464
10. Psychiatrist (Health and Medical) $163,660/ £107,948
9. Chief Executive (Executive and Management) $167,280/ £110,336
8. Family and General Practitioners (Health and Medical) $168,550/ £111,173
7. Physicians & Surgeons, Other (Health and Medical) $173,860/ £114,676
6. Internists – General (Health and Medical) $183,990/ £121,357
5. Obstetricians and Gynaecologists (Health and Medical) $204,470/£134,866
4. Orthodontists (Health and Medical) $206,190/ £136,000
3. Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeons (Health and Medical) $210,710/ £138,982
2. Anaesthesiologists (Health and Medical) $211,750/ £139,668
1. Surgeon (Health and Medical) $219,770/ £144,957
Of the twenty-five best paying jobs in the US, the majority (56%) were in the health and medical sector.
High paying US jobs which didn’t quite make the list include Physicist, College Professor, Air Traffic Controller and Judge/Magistrate.
According to the data compiled by myplan.com some of the worst paying jobs in the US include: Educational, Vocational & School Counsellors, Fish & Game Wardens, Licensing Examiners & Inspectors and Forensic Science Technicians.